Monday, March 24, 2008

What's up with vanity license plates?

I found myself driving around the great state of Maine this past weekend when I had an “Only in Maine” moment. I realized Maine drivers decorate their vehicles with something that not many other states can attest to.

Vanity license plates.

I mean, honestly, do people get a discount on their car insurance for having one? Does the DMV just give these things away? Why is Maine the capital of vanity license plates? (Forget “Vactionland”… Maine is “Vanity plateland.”)

I think the “best” plate I saw this weekend was garnished with “AX MAN.” It is not so much the plate name, but the vehicle it was attached to. When you think “AX MAN,” on a vehicle, you would think some big burley man with an equally burley truck, yes? Well not this individual. This individual thought “AX MAN” would be best expressed on the front and back of his 2005 Nissan Sentra.

Can’t you just picture some Grizzly Adams fellow up in Aroostook County checking the vanity license plate database each week hoping “AX MAN” becomes available? Mean while, this poser drinks Starbucks Chai Lattes (with extra nonfat milk) and drives around in his Sentra searching for the right hair gel? It is truly a shame.

To see other Maine vanity license plates, click here.

Until next time, keep it classy Maine.

No comments: